Carbon Footprint / GHG Emissions
The term “carbon footprint” has gained increased popularity in recent years and is now widely used by most of the companies around the world. Measuring the carbon footprint of an organization’s operation is one of the most critical measure to assess organization’s environmental impact. The threat posed by our increasing carbon footprint on the economy is significant. Climate change will affect local economies dependent on land and natural resources the most.
“In England, consumers didn’t necessarily understand the number (Carbon Footprint label) indicated on the packets of Walkers Potato Chips, but what they respected was the fact that we were being transparent and committed to reduce and lead our impact on environment.”
-Mr. Neil Campbell, President of Tropicana North America.
The international best practices which helps in measuring and offsetting an organization’s emission can be aligned to ISO 14064 (GHG Accounting standard). It is an independent, voluntary GHG project accounting standard. The ISO 14064 standard consists of three parts. The first part (14064-1) specifies requirements for designing and developing organization or entity-level GHG inventories. The second part (14064-2) details requirements for quantifying, monitoring and reporting emission reductions and removal enhancements from GHG projects. The third -party (14064-3) provides requirements and guidance for the conducting of GHG information validation and verification. ISO 14064 gives guidance on what to do but does not spell out the exact requirements.
ECCI is taking the lead in assisting organizations to
a) Identify the sources of carbon emissions,
b) measure their impact on climate change through carbon footprint assessment
c) and offset their emissions to make them carbon neutral and attain recognition for their effort
Who should account GHG Emissions?
It is necessary for all organizations (small & large) to measure their carbon footprint as every activity contributes to emissions and therefore to climate change. It is the first step in realising one’s impact and before exposing ways to reduce these emissions.
Why GHG Accounting?
- Reduce your organization’s greenhouse gas emissions and help mitigate climate change.
- Drive savings with carbon reduction initiatives in operations and secondary activities such as energy consumption for heat and lighting, transport and travel.
- Enhanced reputation of organizations can provide improved access to capital through ratings on the growing number of market indices such as the FTSE4Good and DJSI.
- Implement systems ahead of emerging regulations and future requirements when your organization’s emissions may be given a monetary value.
- Understand the level of carbon risk exposure and in which parts of your organization it can be reduced most efficiently.
Key Services we offer
Carbon Footprint Assessment
- Provides end to end support in assessing the carbon footprint of an organization based on the international best practices of ISO 14064 (GHG Emissions) standard focusing on the following:
- Creation of GHG Inventory
- Classifying activities under the scope of the standard
- Defining process map for emissions
- Calculating Carbon Footprint
- Determining potential areas of reduction
- Life Cycle Assessment to determine the carbon footprint of the products / services and potential areas of reduction in the process activity
|Energy Management||Corporate Social Responsibility|